Tuesday 3 June 2014

Wake by Lisa McMann

Hiya my pulchritudinous readers. I know it has been a while but things are pretty busy with school so do bear with me. Holidays are coming soon so that would probably mean more books and more reviews YAY. Enjoy!

Rating: 2.5/5 stars 

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....

So, as mentioned in the synopsis, this book revolves around Janie and her very special 'talent', shall we call it? She gets sucked into peoples dream -- and not by will! She realised her little 'talent' when she as a child. While other children her age are having fun at sleepovers -- she can't do that -- unless, of course she doesn't mind being sucked into and invading others dream while she is there. She can never dream a dream that belongs to herself, so what happens when she starts being a participant in them? Read the book to find out.

What I liked about this book:

Obviously one of the main things I look for in a book would be the concept of the story. I liked how in the story, instead of just plain text and paragraphs, she groups them in time, sorta like a chronological timeline, if you may. That was one of the first books I have ever read that have done that and I found that it was fun to have a change like that for once. It was refreshing. Like most of my favourite books, this one has a dash of romance in between that I really like. 

What I felt needed some improvement:

Although it had a great concept, I can't help but feel that at some points of the book I felt a little bored. The story base has so much potential and expansion opportunity that I felt rather disappointed. 

So there ya have it, short and sweet ;) 
I might consider reading the next book, but that is not definite. 

xx,
Khatie  

No comments:

Post a Comment