Thursday 24 April 2014

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Obsidian is the first book in the Lux series written by Jennifer L. Armentrout. Here is the blurb/ synopsis:


Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.


And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 



If I don't kill him first, that is...


Rating: 4/5 Stars
Blurb from Goodreads.

This book, if you can't already tell, is a supernatural novel about, well, aliens! Now before some of you go like 'What? Aliens? SO IMMATURE', let me tell you, I had pretty much the same reaction, but I figured, 'why not give it a go?' so now I can officially tell you that it is not as childish as a book about alien is expected to be. 

If the synopsis/blurb is not enough for you to understand the book, here is my version of a rundown of the book, which may or may not be helpful -- but that is up to you to decide. 

So the book is written in the point of view of Katy, a high school student, who moves to the small, silent town of West Virginia. She lives with her mom, which we will know at the beginning of the book, works as a nurse. A big factor that contributed in this move was her mother's intention to hep both of them move on from Katy's father's death from cancer 3 years ago, which was also explained at the first couple of chapters. She first meets Daemon when she offers to get some groceries for her mother, and getting some gardening tools for herself (which at this point, if you can't figure out yet, her liking towards gardening is revealed! DUN DUN DUN). Since she is new to town, she and her mother both have no clue to where the grocery and gardening shops were, so her mother suggests that she asks their next door neighbour, who she has not-so-discreetly mentioned that she saw some teenagers Katy's age - a boy and a girl. 

A little begrudgingly, she agrees and sets off knocking on her neighbour's door, which swung open to reveal Daemon in his so-called half naked glory. This event led to another and soon, she finds herself being tangled into a web of complications, and of course, aliens. 

BOOM! So that was my version of the story line rundown! I am trying my best to not have any spoilers in there, but if there is one or two minor ones, please don't come after me with a knife.

Now time for personal review! *rubs palms together with a smirk*

What I liked about the book:
Personally, I really enjoyed Katy as a character. She was smart, occasionally sarcastic, a dash of sassy and downright humorous. I thought Jennifer did a great job in writing out the story line to make it somewhat relate-able and engaging. In the story, Katy is a fellow blogger too, blogging mostly about books, and I comprehend her love for books, because in some aspects, I find that me and Katy are not all too different when it comes to our passion for reading -- not the being neighbours with aliens part, of course!Also the dry humour from some of the characters are very entertaining. Not to forget the extra special Daemon's point of view at the end of the book (we can finally take a sneak peek into the seemingly extra complicated mind of our attractive alien)! YAY :) 
                                         
What I feel that requires some more improvement: -

Dear PULCHRITUDINOUS people out there reading this, YOU JUST READ MY FIRST EVERY BLOG POST ON THIS BLOG!

For those of you who don't know what pulchritudinous means, Google it! ;)

Cheers,
K


No comments:

Post a Comment