Friday 25 April 2014

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Lux #3)

Hey guys! So before you start wondering why on earth am I seemingly only reviewing books from the Lux series? Well that is because that is what I am currently reading, so that is what I am posting. I post what I read at the time, so to some extent you can keep up with what I am reading,that is, if you want to do that.
Okay, on to the review...

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars 

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout is the third book in the Lux series. Here is the blurb/synopsis:

No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it

So now that you have read the blurb/synopsis, we can move onto my version of the summary. WARNING: SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT READ THE PREVIOUS BOOKS. You have been warned... 

 Okay so the third book, like the previous couple of books, are from Katy's point of view.This book takes off at where it left off, with escaping from Will (recap: Katy's mother's 'boyfriend' and evil, psycho doctor/traitor) and finding Dawson (recap: Dee and Daemon's brothers). As you probably remember from the previous book, Katy was held by Will, tortured using onyx, the stone that is painful to hybrids and Luxens (similar to how obsidian is harmful to Arums). Will used the special connection shared by the hybrids/mutations and their 'Healers' to get what he wants, which is to be mutated by a Luxen. He captured Katy, taking the bet that Daemon, who is the strongest of his kind, was her Healer and would do anything to set her free, including mutating Will. In exchange for mutating him, he would set Katy free allegedly unharmed and release Dawson, knowing that he has struck both of Dawson's weaknesses. He gave Katy the address and once the mutation was done, would set both of them out of the warehouse-like detention centre and give them easy access to Dawson, handing them a chance to free the last one of the Blacks' triplet.  Even though Dawson is back physically, doesn't mean that he is back mentally. Keeping in mind that Dawson was also harmed and tortured by the Daedalus, a group supposedly within the DOD (aka the Department of Defense).
 After knowing Will's true intentions for capturing and torturing hybrids and taking advantage of the special bond developed between them and their healers, we can easily conclude that is why they took Dawson and Beth in the first place -- to use them for mutating purposes -- which probably wasn't too helpful to the Daedalus, leading to the capturing of Katy Swartz and Daemon Black,

From the battle between Katy, Dee, Adam and Blake (recap: the cute surfer boy and hybrid), Blake killed Adam, which he claims that was not intentional. Shockingly to most of us, after getting their hands on Blake post-Adam's death, they let him go, claiming that this was his finla chance to go away and never come back unless he has a death wish, agreeing that there were too many deaths in one day. Dee still is grieving over Adam, who she only lately and discovered and confessed her feelings for. Dee blames both Daemon and Katy, but Katy blames herself. In this book, Dee plays as an powerful character and element in the book. Katy is regretful for pushing Dee away, and wants to be friends again, but Dee replies, saying that it was too much and she don't reckon they can ever be friends again. *winces* Ouch! Add in Ash and Andrew, the remaining of the Thompson triplets, who before Adam's death already seem to have a strong dislike towards Katy, now probably hates her guts. To make it worse, someone who isn't ever supposed to show up is back, and the devil has a deal to make -- one that they can't possibly turn down...

Yeah, cliffhanger-ish sort of thing I just did there *winks* I won't elaborate more because I am already at a risk of spoiler, and I might have already committed a mini crime there (not too sure though!). Onto my personal review...

What I liked about this book:

This book took many turn of events, some I did not expect. I particularly enjoyed watching Dawson grow out of his hollow shell and start to warm up to his old life. It is also particularly amusing having a jealous Daemon. Having Daemon as well, Daemon is protective enough in his nature, so Jealousy + Daemon = A very amused me. Some parts of the book got me gaping at my book like an idiot, but I couldn't help it. I particularly enjoyed the intensity of the book too. A great story line and plot! Praises to Jennifer L. Armentrout! Not gonna spoil but the ending = Oh My Lordy!

What I find needed some improvement:-

That concludes my book review! WOOHOO. Until next time, my pulchritudinous readers :)

Cheers,
K

B/N: I don't know what else should I add down to my reviews to improve it! Comment if you think I should
add anything new into my reviews and I'll consider! Also, Happy ANZAC day to anyone who celebrates it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment