Saturday 26 April 2014

Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Lux #4)

Hey guys! I'm on a roll! Yeaaaaah :) Yes, I know so far, I am doing only books under the Lux series, but this will probably be the last one on the Lux series for now (because the final book is not due for a while!), and I'll be starting on some new books, though I don't know for sure what I am going to be reading... Probably going to the school library soon to get some more books, so YAAAAY! Okay,on to the review...

Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout is the 4th book in the Lux series. Here is the blurb/synopsis:


Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.

After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.

All Katy can do is survive.

Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?

Together, they can face anything.

But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on?

And will they even be together?

BAM! There you go, the synopsis/blurb of the book-- now before I get to my summary, I will probably have a mini rant whatnot on the previous book, especially it's ending, so if you have not read Opal yet, SPOILER ALERT! There, now that that was out of the way, on to my mini rant (Feel free to skip out on the rant and go straight down to the summary if you want). Note that this will be a literal - excuse me for how I am phrasing this out - word vomit. I just type the first thing that comes to mind and don't filter it.

-Start of rant- 

*Takes in a deep breath* I honestly don't know what to feel about Blake right now. I mean, one minute I trust him, then I don't, then I sorta do, and now I don't. Honestly, everyone's a traitor-- no doubt to that. Who can you even trust now? Though does it make me a weird person if I hope that somehow deep down, Blake was the good guy in disguise? And was all that sh*t about liking Katy even real? Oh Lordy I feel like a total girly girl + disappointed fan girl (no offense) right now. Though I was actually out of the house when I was reading the ending, expecting some sort of happy ending and ZAMBAM, it was like someone smacked me in the face with a fish. Though I guess stories can't always end up happy, huh? It was hands down, a pretty good way to end the book and keeping people on that cliffhanger was genius yet cruel at the same time. I was pretty mad at Blake, and the whole Chris thing was like total BS? Dang, isn't he a great actor, either that or everyone else is just extremely gullible -- not that we would know because, after all, we are in Katy's mind/thoughts... I guess this would be the end of the rant! If you actually stuck through with my rambling, congratulations, you just found out what it is like to talk to me about books unfiltered, or just talk to my mind and thoughts in general -- though it would be much more messier than this... ;)

-End of rant-

Sorry about that! Now really on to the review..

So this book, unlike the past couple of books, are written in alternating point of views of Katy and Daemon. The book starts off what I assume would be 31 hours after Katy was captured by the DOD and Daedalus. Katy has been captured and transported off to Area 51, Nevada to the DOD/ Daedalus experimental base sorta place and she is pretty much expecting to be the next Dawson and Beth (recap: Dawson is the Blacks' other triplet and Beth is his girlfriend). Also as expected she was taken in and had many tests ran on her, needless to say, some easier than others. If they thought that she was pretty unstable, then they did not do a good job when they brought in someone who she has grew a strong loathing too in a short amount of time -- the one and only Blake. Yes, the Blake that betrayed her not once but twice; the Blake that took her opal and pretty much set her up for being caught in the DOD/Daedalus facility. But after going around the place, it seems that maybe the DOD/ Daedalus facility and research motives weren't as bad as it seems; perhaps her extraterrestrial friends and their kind were the one at blame...

Daemon was miserable and as approachable as a bed of nails since Katy was taken away. He was mad, to say the least at Matthew and Dawson for knocking him out when he was supposed to save Katy. His Katy. The one that he was supposed to protect. Look where that got her now, in the hands of their enemy -- The DOD/ Daedalus are doing God knows what to her, and he is not going to stand by and let that happen. He is going after her, and no one can stop this stubborn, strong-headed and madly in-love alien.He probably is in deep sh*t for doing what he did to the Elder and some people of his own kind, but what did they expect? Him to be all happy and sunshine-y after they took Kat? Desperate times come for desperate measure, and this very handsome alien would burn the whole world if it is what it took to get her back. He will do whatever it takes to be with her, even if it means turning himself into a situation that screams trouble...

This book, unlike the past couple of books, are written in alternating point of views which is undoubtedly Katy and Daemon's. Now this book is where it gets pretty deep into the whole Daedalus ordeal, so there will be quite a dystopian-ish feel to the book, especially when reading from Katy's point of view. The author, Jennifer L. Armentrout has seemingly very deliberately planned the plot line once again, and slowly, things start to click into place. This book kinda gave me a very paranoid feeling, in the sense where every time a new character was introduced, I would analyse pretty much all of their movements (if it makes sense) and then decide if they were evil or not. As cheesy as this sounds, this book makes me feel like I am being sucked into the story, which I guess would be every author's aim. It is a pretty emotional book and I won't lie and say that I don't think some things they did were stupid, just because ;).

What I liked about this book:
As usual, the author Jennifer L. Armentrout never fails to deliver. I loved the details in this book, with the whole Daedalus/DOD situation and it somehow has this very sweet little love story in it which just makes me go 'AWWWW'. It was like the other books -- amazing. I really would say some more but it might give out the story and all so I will just keep my virtual mouth/keyboard/words/whatever-the-heck-you-would-call-this shut.

What I felt needed some improvements: -
as per usual :)

Ahhh! Can't wait for the last book in the series!!

That is it for this review! Thanks for reading my pulchritudinous readers ;) Until the next book (get it? because next book = next book review = post? no? okay. buh bye now)
Cheers,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment